Holiday Beach Club
Want to learn to surf confidently? To understand the sea and beach safety? We believe the best way to become fully acquainted with this sport is to take part in multiple lessons, which is why we offer our summer beach club for children aged 8-16. This is the ultimate in summer holiday activity clubs and surfing crash courses. 4 days of lessons, fun and games to leave them totally acquainted with surfing, the surf culture and surf safety.
Not only will children come away from a fantastic week of adventure in the surf with lots of amazing memories, but we also teach them subjects such as:
- Beach and Surf safety – So that, as time goes by, they’ll be confident enough to take to the waves on their own with the knowledge and understanding that will keep them safe in the sea. This is a vital part of all our lessons, but the Beach Surf Club provides children with extra time to further develop a more in-depth understanding of beach safety and how to implement it in all their surf activities.
- Surf life saving – A fantastic skill for any budding surfer, and one that can later lead to a career as a surf coach or a RNLI lifeguard! All our instructors are surf lifesaving qualified, so they’ll be learning from the professionals.
- Rips and Tide – Being able to read the sea is especially important if you’re looking to surf or visit the beach regularly. Understanding the tides, and being able to recognise rip currents, can not only help you get ‘out back’ much quicker in a surf session, but can also help you avoid any potentially dangerous situations caused by strong currents.
- Coastal wildlife – We’re lucky enough here at Whitby to be visited by some epic and incredible coastal wildlife. One of our favourite summer experiences is the occasional Dolphin spotting. In 2020, we had multiple big dolphin pod sightings throughout the summer season. We’re also often visited by seals at Whitby Beach, and a vast array of coastal birds. Our coastal wildlife education will ensure children have a knowledge of the wonderful wildlife we can find on the North Coast, and how to react if they do get a rare dolphin or whale sighting – so they can enjoy the experience to the fullest, without putting the animals at risk.
- Pollution and keeping the beach and sea clean – We’re big believers in doing our bit to ensure this beautiful beach stays that way, and part of this is to educate up and coming young surfers about how they can ensure they leave the beach better than they found it.
Our Summer Beach Club is an action-packed four days, providing the absolute best of what Whitby Beach has to offer. Whether it’s their first time standing, catching their first green wave, or a body boarding extravaganza – your child will come away with memories that will last a lifetime. Like all our lessons, equipment will be provided so all you have to do is turn up ready to learn and with a big smile!
* We do require a minimum of 3 participants to run Holiday beach club. If you are booking as an individual and we do not have enough people to run a session we will contact you to offer an alternative.
What you need to know
Our Holiday Beach Club is for ages 8 - 16 years, and, as they will be spending a lot of time in the sea, all children taking part must be able to swim 25 metres.
The Club runs every day of the Holidays for 4 days a week (Monday to Thursday) from 9.30am - 12. This means every child will have 2.5 hours a day of thrilling and exciting surf activities. By the end they’ll be much more confident in the water, will have the opportunity to learn to surf and SUP from fully qualified educational professionals and will be surrounded by a group of like-minded individuals just as stoked as they are!
All equipment is included, however there are a few things we would recommend bringing to each club session;
- A towel (Or towel robe if you have one)
- Warm and comfortable clothes for after your lessons
- Sun hat
- Sun cream and Sun-protection lip balm
- A bottle of water or cool drink and a snack
- A Swimming suit - we are unable to provide changing facilities so please arrive wearing your swimsuit under your clothes.
- Medication (e.g. Inhalers/ EpiPens)
- Beach shoes/Aqua shoes (If you own any). We do have a limited amount/sizes of wetsuit boots at the school but if you have your own please bring them along.
If you would like to book a course ahead of the summer season, you can do so on our bookings page. This will ensure you a place. Please be aware that our Summer Beach Club is immensely popular, so we would always recommend pre-booking where possible.
A place on our Holiday Beach Club costs £125 per child.
We have multiple course dates across the summer season. You can find them below:
- Mon 24th July - Thu 27th July
- Mon 31st July - Thu 3rd August
- Mon 7th August - Thu 10th August
- Mon 14th August - Thu 17th August
- Mon 21st August - Thu 24th August
- Mon 28th August - Thu 31st August
If you have any questions about our Summer Beach Club, don’t hesitate to get in touch. We’re always happy to help!